Sunday, January 30, 2011

Another Week, More Books

  1. Scary Godmother: Ghoul's Out for Summer by Jill Thompson. Comics featuring Thompson's spooky characters. For some reason, I did not get this when it first came out years ago. And I have regretted it ever since, as the book went out of print. Fortunately, I found a used copy at Powell's. Fun stuff for all ages.
  2. Siege: Thor by Kieron Gillen, Billy Tan, et al. I still haven't read the main Siege story (and it sounds like I'm not missing much), but this is quite good (although it does feel disjointed, since a lot of the story is happening elsewhere). (Checked out of the library.)
  3. John Constantine, Hellblazer: India by Peter Milligan, et al. More horror. This time dealing with some aspects of Britain's colonial legacy.
  4. B.P.R.D., vol. 14: King of Fear by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, & Guy Davis. The conclusion of the first part of B.P.R.D.'s story. I'm guessing later parts won't take 14 volumes to cover, but I am looking forward to reading them.
  5. The Creeper by Steve Ditko.

    While Ditko's art is very stylized, I like it a lot, and it does not disappoint. The writing on the stories collected here, on the other hand, is not exactly, scintillating. Still, it's nice to see Ditko get some love.
  6. Marvel Adventures Spider-Man: Spectacular by Paul Tobin, Roberto Di Salvo, et al. I have now caught up on the collections of Tobin's Marvel Adventures Spider-Man. (There are other Marvel Adventures books he has written I still need to get.)
  7. Marvels: Eye of the Camera by Kurt Busiek, Roger Stern, & Jay Anaclete. Sequel to Busiek & Alex Ross's Marvels. Well done, but kind of depressing since it focuses on a time when Marvel Comics were filled with anti-heroes.
  8. Tangent Comics, vol. 3 by various.
  9. Ayako by Osamu Tezuka.

    Tezuka's saga about a powerful and decadent family in post-War Japan.

Not much in the way of movies this week, so I'll put those off.

No comments: