Monday, January 02, 2012

Disney Adventure part 1

As part of our trip to visit her parents in the week before Christmas, Teena & I went to Disney's California Adventure and Disneyland. This won't be a full account of our trip, but some highlights.

We spent our first day at California Adventure, which we had never been to before, and it was great, if a little sparse. (Two large sections of the part were closed off for renovation.) We got very lucky with rides. We walked right into Muppet*Vision 3D, which was a blast. Animatronic Statler & Waldorf heckle the show from a balcony, and the 3D effects are handled well. The movie itself is very much in the spirit of Henson, who was never afraid of corny jokes or ending things with a bang. At one point in the movie, there are bubbles, and real bubbles fall from the ceiling, so it's hard to tell which are part of the movie and which are real.

I didn't have too long of a wait for the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, which is fortunate, because I felt a little guilty about making Teena wait for me while I went on a ride she had no interest in. The drop was very scary, but thrilling. I definitely want to do this again when we go back.

The Golden Zephyr is basically the Dumbo ride with retro-science fiction trappings, but I really enjoyed it and the view it affords of the park.

The shorter line and Teena's propensity for motion sickness meant we chose a stationary gondola for Mickey's Fun Wheel, which is a damn tall Ferris Wheel.

The highlight of the day was the World of Color show in the evening. We spent quite a while waiting for it, but it was worth the wait. While waiting I took these pictures:
The World of Color show was amazing. A light show projected onto water from hundreds of fountains shooting up into the air. Just spectacular. Disney really knows how to put on a show.

On the way out, I convinced Teena that we should get the aviator caps we had seen earlier in the day.

I don't know when we'll wear these, but I'm glad we bought them.

That's enough for now. I'll try to post about Disneyland soon.

1 comment:

gl. said...

you guys look great in those aviator glasses!