Thursday, November 20, 2003

Books
I've been reading graphic novels over the past few days.
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Spike & Dru by Christopher Golden & various artists. This is a collection of stories, one of which was co-written by James Marsters, the actor who plays Spike. It's okay, but I can't really hear the characters' voices when I read the stories, so it doesn't feel much like an extension of the tv show.
  • The Courageous Princess by Rod Espinosa. This very sweet story draws on fairy tales to tell a new story, sort of like Fables by Bill Willingham or Castle Waiting by Linda Medley, but this book is aimed at a younger audience than the other two.
  • The Matrix Comics by a variety of writers & artists. Pretty good. I'd say the best piece in this collection is the prose story by Neil Gaiman.
  • Creature Tech by Doug TenNapel. I liked this, but I'm not sure how to describe it. Quite odd.
  • Swamp Thing: Reunion written by Alan Moore & illustrated by various artists. DC has finally finished collecting Moore's run on Swamp Thing. It took them long enough. For years I'd been saying that they should reprint all of his stories. If it weren't for Moore paving the way, demonstrating that mainstream comics could be well-written, DC wouldn't have hired Neil Gaiman, and we'd never have seen Sandman.


I just want to say that Amazon's new "search books' text" feature can be annoying. When looking for The Courageous Princess, it turned up thousands of results. Too many options can be just as limiting as too few.

No comments: