Monday, August 15, 2005

Back to the list.

  1. Iron Wok Jan, vol. 1 by Shinji Saijyo. I'd read good stuff about this online, so I decided to take a look. Pretty interesting, but it didn't really grab me. It is nice, though, to see a manga series where the battles aren't fights (although I bet it quickly becomes difficult to make cooking competitions visually interesting). (Checked out of the library.)
  2. Tuxedo Gin, vol. 1 by Toki Matsuura. Another series I decided to try based on online recommendations. I'll be checking out more of these, if only for the sheer weirdness of the premise: a boxer dies & is reincarnated as a penguin; he retains his memories of being a human; if he lives out his natural lifespan as a penguin {no suicide}, he'll be returned to his human body & reunited with the girl he loves. Of course, said girl is keeping him as a pet. Completely absurd, but rather charming nonetheless. (Library.)
  3. Scott Pilgrim, vol. 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O'Malley. Yet another book I read because of comics blogs I read. From the blurb on the back of the book, I was prepared to hate this book. It sounded like it was filled with the kind of drama that appeals to teens & twenty-somethings. Plus the main character is 23 and dating a 17-year-old? Creepy. But I read it & discovered that it kicks all kinds of ass. Very cool stuff. I'll definitely be buying my own copy of this. (Library.)


I didn't get nearly as far as I wanted to tonight. Oh well, at least I made some progress.

{Edited to correct the numbers}

4 comments:

xire said...

you know, i had asked the girl at excalibur which book she would pick between Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life and Blue Monday and she pointed me to Blue Monday. I suppose i would have liked it if i was a girl.

xire said...

ok, so i found a used copy and read it. Didn't do much for me, but then, not much happens in it. I'll try the second book though and give it a fair chance.

Philip said...

I picked up vol. 2 myself the other day, so I'll just bring that to the comics swap on Sunday.

xire said...

cool. btw, i found an interview with the author. I'll wait to read it untill i've read the book.

http://www.animefringe.com/magazine/2005/04/feature/03.php