Thursday, August 04, 2005

I'm on a roll.

  1. The Fairer Sex: A Tale of Shades & Angels, vol. 1 by John Ira Thomas & Jeremy Smith. I found this book quite confusing. I attributed that to bad storytelling skills on the part of the creators. I thought that they simply weren't bothering to properly introduce characters, but once I saw the ad in the back of the book I realized that despite the "volume one" on the cover, this isn't the first book featuring some of these characters. However, nothing in the book except that ad gives any indication that this is the case. So it's still bad storytelling, but more along the lines of sloppiness rather than incompetence. (Checked out of the library.)
  2. The Maxx, vol. 3 by Sam Kieth, with Wiliam Messner-Loebs. Strange, weird stuff. But it starts to all make sense in this volume. I had delayed in picking up this volume because the oddness of the previous two had started to get to me. (And I've got a high tolerance for weirdness.) I need to get volume 4.
  3. Ranma 1/2, vol. 28 by Rumiko Takahashi. Yet more martial arts mayhem. (Library.)
  4. Ranma 1/2, vol. 29 by Rumiko Takahashi. Even more martial arts mayhem. (Library.)
  5. Narbonic, vol. 1 by Shaenon K. Garrity. One day I stumbled across Narbonic, a great little web comic about a mad scientist & her underlings. I hadn't seen much of it when I took a chance on ordering a copy of her book (directly from her rather than Amazon). Teena & I are both glad I took that risk. The comic is very funny, but then how can you go wrong with mad scientists? Highly recommended.
  6. Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling. You may not have heard of this fantasy novel, but it's actually the sixth in a series of seven books.
  7. Too Much Coffee Man: How to Be Happy by Shannon Wheeler. You have to admire Wheeler. He took a one-note character & turned him into a vehicle for all kinds of commentary. Pretty funny, too.
  8. Y: The Last Man, vol. 5: The Ring of Truth by Brian K. Vaughan & Pia Guerra. The latest collection of this series, and it looks like we're finally starting to get some answers about what happened & why Yorick & Ampersand survived the disaster that killed every other male mammal on the the planet.
  9. Dr. Slump, vol. 2 by Akira Toriyama. If all I knew of Toriyama's work were Dragon Ball Z, I'd have been surprised at how goofy Dr. Slump is, but I knew that before the "Z" was added, Dragon Ball was pretty silly.
  10. The Pulse, vol. 2: Secret War by Brian Michael Bendis & Brent Anderson. It seems wrong to me that the "comics event" this storyline ties into is still unfinished. It also seems wrong that this collection was published before the next issue of "The Pulse" comic was. It makes me more inclined than ever to just wait for collections.


I'm catching up. Right now I'm only 1.5 weeks behind, and the half week is the time since I started updating again.

No comments: