Saturday, January 13, 2007

The book list is considerably longer this week. This is fueled in part by the fact that I was sick yesterday & stayed home from work.

  1. B.P.R.D., vol. 6: The Universal Machine by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, & Guy Davis. This may be the best B.P.R.D. book yet. The main story is about Kate's attempt to acquire a book that may restore Roger to "life." And other members of the Bureau tell stories of their past.
  2. In Shark Years I'm Dead: Sherman's Lagoon Turns Fifteen by Jim Toomey. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  3. Comic Books and Other Necessities of Life by Mark Evanier. A collection of essays Evanier originally wrote for the column he had in the Comic Buyer's Guide.
  4. Vampirella: Blood Feud by James Robinson & Joe Jusko. Not Robinson's best work.
  5. Outsiders, vol. 5: The Good Fight by Judd Winick, Matthew Clark. I do hope somebody at DC realizes the irony of entitling this volume "The Good Fight" when the protagonists (I refuse to call them "superheroes" anymore) engage in torture. I won't be buying any more of these books.
  6. The Dreaming, vol. 2 by Queenie Chan. Spooky goings-on at an exclusive school in Australia. I'm looking forward to the final volume in this series.
  7. The Collected Alison Dare, Little Miss Adventures, vol. 1 by J. Torres & J. Bone. Cute, all-ages comics with a pulpy feel (magazines, not juice). (Checked out of the library.)
  8. The Dark Tower, Book 1: The Gunslinger by Stephen King. Other than a short story or two, the only Stephen King I have read was the first 2 or 3 volumes of the Dark Tower series, but that was years ago. During 2007, I will read all 7 volumes. Teena is looking forward to discussing the series with me. (Borrowed from Teena.)
  9. I Love Led Zeppelin by Ellen Forney. (Library.)
  10. Jack Staff, vol. 3: Echoes of Tomorrow by Paul Grist. Grist can be pretty slow, but he produces some great comics. This one features a character very clearly based on Alan Moore.
  11. Fallen Angel, vol. 2: Down to Earth by Peter David & David Lopez. When Peter David took this comic to IDW, it seemed unlikely that DC would continue to publish collections of the first run. But that is not the case, and I am quite happy about that.
  12. Death Note, vol. 9: Contact by Tsugumi Ohba & Takeshi Obata.
  13. Manhunter, vol. 1: Street Justice by Marc Andreyko & Jesus Saiz. It's been a while since I read this, and since volume 2 just came out, I thought I'd reread it.
  14. Manhunter, vol. 2: Trial by Fire by Marc Andreyko, Javier Pina, & Jesus Saiz.
  15. Reborn!, vol. 1: Here Comes Reborn! by Akira Amano. I like weird, but this manga may be too weird even for me. It's about an infant assassin to travels from Italy to Japan to train a junior high student for his future as a mafia boss. That's not the weirdest part of it, but I'm feeling poorly again, so I'm going to plow on through the rest of the books I've read recently.
  16. Ultimate Galactus, Book 3: Extinction by Warren Ellis & Brandon Peterson.
  17. Kane, vol. 6: Partners by Paul Grist.

No comments: