Sunday, January 21, 2007

Movies

  • V for Vendetta. I would say this is the most faithful movie adaptation of an Alan Moore work, but that's not saying much. It is considerably more simplistic than the graphic novel. Still, Hugo Weaving does an amazing job of acting through a mask.
  • Ed Wood. A great movie about a man who made terrible movies.
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000: Bride of the Monster. This is one of the Ed Wood movies that was covered in Burton's film. It was fascinating to see these two in rapid succession. Burton did a great job of recreating Wood's sets.
  • Serenity.
  • Arrested Development, Season One. An incredibly funny show about awful, awful people. I wish I'd watched this when it originally aired. But from what I've heard, it would have been hard to find, as Fox kept moving it around. Still, it lasted longer than a lot of shows Fox didn't support.
  • Ju-On. Creepy, creepy, creepy Japanese horror. Very effective, without being gory. Highly recommended.
  • Wonderfalls: The Complete Series. Now here's an example of a show Fox didn't support at all. They only aired 4 of the 13 episodes, and if I remember correctly, they shifted its time slot at least once. Way to build an audience, Fox.
  • Stick It. This was billed as the new Bring It On, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the cheerleading movie. Part of the problem is that I didn't buy that characters were gymnasts. I new a couple gymnasts in college, and yes they were tiny, but they also had muscle. The girls in this movie were just skinny.
  • Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Some beautiful computer animation here, but I can't remember much else about this movie. If I had ever played the game, there would have been more of a connection. I will say that Teena was very patient with me while we watched it and explained who all the characters were.
  • The Producers. From back in the days when Mel Brooks made good movies.

No comments: