Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Hmm. I am finding that the times I want to update this page are not the times when I can. Maybe it's time to re-think the whole not having a computer at home thing.

Saw just about everything that played at this years H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival, including Beyond Re-Animator, The Shunned House, The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, and The Eldritch Influence, not to mention numerous shorts. Lots of bad films (as expected) & a few good ones. I especially liked the last two features named, an animated adapation & a documentary, respectively. I was looking forward to them and probably should have not saved them for the final 2 movies of the weekend. Dream Quest is a little slow, and I was quite tired by the time I saw it. I would have liked it better if I'd been more alert. I also enjoyed The Stone Tape, a BBC production from 1972 that felt a bit like a Doctor Who story from that time, or possibly a Quatermass story.

Other than HPL films, I watched several other movies this weekend, including Tron, which was the first time I'd seen it. Pretty good. And now I finally get what South Park's version of Moses is a reference to. Tron was my final Netflix movie for the year. I cancelled my subscription because the new tv season is starting (even though I'm only watching a few shows). This will give me a chance to watch some of the many DVDs I actually own.

Also watched this weekend: Spy Kids (checked out of the library) and The Goonies, another movie made long ago that I'd never seen before. I enjoyed it (at least once the kids got into the caves), but I don't think I would have if I'd seen it when it came out. In 1985, I'd have thought it was too young for me.

More later.

No comments: