Tuesday, March 23, 2004

And a few more books since last week.

  • Planetary: Crossing Worlds by Warren Ellis, Phil Jimenez, Jerry Ordway, & John Cassaday.
  • The Incredible Hulk, vol. 2 by Bruce Jones, Stuart Immonen, & Mike Deodato Jr. I stopped buying the Hulk comic book when Peter David stopped writing it. But I kept hearing good things about the Bruce Jones written issues. But David, despite a long (& I though successful) run had been forced off the book, and I have loyalty to writers I like. So I wasn't going to buy the comics. However, checking them out of the library seems acceptable to me. I'd read the first collection a while ago, and while I enjoyed it, something about it seemed off. It took the introduction to the second collection for me to put my finger on just what it was that bugged me. In it, Jones talks about finding new artists for the comic when the previous ones move on to other projects. And Jones mentions that before Deodato sent in his samples, he'd never seen his artwork before.
    The thing is, Deodato had worked on the Hulk before, during David's run. So it appears Jones hasn't read the previous writer's tenure on the title, even though David wrote The Incredible Hulk for over 10 years. Now I can understand wanting to make your own mark on the character, to take the title in your own direction, but to completely ignore the work of the person who handled the Hulk for a quarter of his existence seems wrong.
  • The Maxx, vol. 1 by Sam Kieth with William Messner-Loebs.
  • Completely Pip & Norton by Dave Cooper & Gavin McInnes. (Library)
  • SpyBoy: The M.A.N.G.A. Affair by Peter David & Pop Mhan.
  • SpyBoy/Young Justice by Peter David, Pop Mhan, & Todd Nauck.
  • Essential X-Men, vol. 4 by Chris Claremont, Paul Smith, et al. Reprints of the comics that helped me get through adolescence. I find I have much less tolerance for angst & melodrama nowadays, though.
  • JSA: Darkness Falls by David Goyer, Geoff Johns, et al. (Library.)

No comments: