Tuesday, March 30, 2004

It's about time I updated about more than just books.

Movies & DVDs
  • Breakfast at Tiffany's. I'd never seen this before, and it made me wonder how it differs from the novel (which I'm not sure I would if I hadn't seen that one episode of Seinfeld). (Checked out of the library.)
  • Angel, season 2. Watching this, made me realize just how much better this show used to be. I still enjoy the current season, but it was much more consistent back then.
  • The Osbournes, season 1. Amazingly funny. But whoever MTv got to do the captioning should have been more familiar with British colloquialisms. In the episode where the Osbournes are having trouble with the neighbors, and Ozzy goes to chuck a hunk of firewood over the fence, Sharon says "No, Ozzy! You could get done (i.e. tried) for manslaughter!" But it was captioned as "You could get gone for manslaughter!" Even better is later in the episode when the police show up, and Jack starts panicking, "I'm going to get nicked (i.e. arrested)!" The captioning for that says "I'm going to get Nick!", which might lead people to wonder who Nick is, why we've never seen him before, and how he'll help with the police.
  • From Here to Eternity. Saw this at the Hollywood Theatre. I'd never seen it before. Very good. I tend to forget that Frank Sinatra could really act.
  • Glen or Glenda? Teena & I saw this (along with the following movie) at a friend's house. For such terrible movies, they were remarkably entertaining. Hilarious in a way that was never intended.
  • Plan 9 from Outer Space.
  • My Neighbor Totoro. Teena found a cheap copy of this DVD at a garage sale. I'd never seen it before, despite really enjoying Miyazaki's other movies. Just delightful.
  • Analyze This. I enjoyed this, but I suspect it would have felt different if I'd seen it when it came out, before The Sopranos dealt with the same subject seriously. (Library.)


I'll update books tomorrow.

No comments: